You are hereMore publishers to add e-book metadata to WorldCat
More publishers to add e-book metadata to WorldCat
OCLC has signed new agreements with leading publishers around the world to add more e-book metadata to WorldCat, the most comprehensive online database of resources available through libraries worldwide.
This new WorldCat metadata will be integrated into library management workflows using OCLC’s cataloging services and discoverable by users through a variety of library discovery services, including WorldCat Local and WorldCat.org.
“OCLC is always negotiating access to critical content on behalf of the cooperative to ensure access to libraries’ most popular resources,” said Chip Nilges, OCLC Vice President, Business Development. “Our goal is to help OCLC member libraries streamline their e-book workflows, from the identification and cataloging of materials, through circulation, access and de-accessioning of titles from their collections – regardless of their service provider.”
OCLC recently signed agreements with the following e-book providers to add new collections to WorldCat:
• Cambridge University Press, based in the United Kingdom, offers peer-reviewed publishing lists comprising over 45,000 titles that cover academic research and professional development. This list is growing at a rate of over 4,000 ISBNs every year and spans subjects from aesthetics to zoology.
• Chandos Publishing, based in the United Kingdom, is a publisher of library and information science, knowledge management and business information trends, comprising over 300 books. Chandos Publishing books provide the best source of authoritative information for library science and information management professionals and researchers worldwide. The e-book metadata from this publisher will also be made discoverable as a collection through WorldCat Local.
• Edward Elgar Publishing, Ltd., based in the United Kingdom, is a leading international publisher of academic books and journals in economics, finance, business and management, law, environment, public and social policy. The e-book metadata from this publisher will also be made discoverable as a collection through WorldCat Local.
• eLibros, based in Colombia, is a rapidly growing distributor of Spanish-language books to readers all over the world. The subject areas range from literary fiction, tales and novels and books from contemporary Hispanic-American authors, to immortal works from classic authors.
• McGill-Queens University Press, based in Canada, offers more than 2,800 books in print including numerous award-winners and best-sellers. McGill-Queens University Press’ goal is to produce rigorously edited, beautifully produced, intelligent, interesting books.
• Momentum Press, based in the United States, was founded in 2007 and provides the very best information and knowledge on today’s advancements in science, engineering and applied technology.
• Slipdown Mountain Publications, based in the United States, publishes fiction and nonfiction books; their focus is on serving public libraries.
• Society of Exploration Geophysicists, based in the United States, is a not-for-profit organization that promotes the science of applied geophysics and the education of geophysicists.
• Woodhead Publishing Limited, based in the United Kingdom, is an independent international publishing company that covers the areas of food science; technology and nutrition; materials and engineering; textile technology; energy and environmental technology; finance, commodities and investment; mathematics; and biomedicine. The e-book metadata from this publisher will also be made discoverable as a collection through WorldCat Local.
• World Scientific Publishing Co., based in Singapore, is one of the leading scientific publishers in the world, and the largest international scientific publisher in the Asia-Pacific region. World Scientific publishes about 500 new e-book titles per year. The e-book metadata from this publisher will also be made discoverable as a collection through WorldCat Local.
OCLC continues to add new journal, book, database and open access collections to WorldCat. WorldCat offers access to the collective resources of libraries worldwide, including print and electronic forms of books, journals and databases from a variety of publishers and other content providers from around the world; the digital collections of groups like HathiTrust and Google Books; and open access materials, such as the OAIster collection.